Pursuing Bliss in a Random Life is about finding the humor in everyday situations. It's the random moments of clarity in the middle of chaos. It's the reminders of what is truly important, of the things that make this life not just livable, but memorable. This is my search: not just to achieve, but to maintain happiness. Family, friends, faith, food, fun: Bliss.

Monday, October 18, 2010

Learning Happiness, or Mindful Gratitude

I was faced with a big decision, and after agonizing, worrying, and analyzing it to death for two nights, my answer came in the morning. "Look at this," said God. "Here's a reminder of the things you hold dear, the things you really want. Here's a reminder of past blessings.Here is inspiration to change your way of thinking."

Taking a walk with my boys, admiring the Halloween decorations and planning our own, is a joy all its own. Seeing their faces each morning, being there for hugs, homework, bedtimes, and even tantrums, is more important than money. Losing my job almost two years ago seemed like a disaster, but became a blessing. I have spent more time with my children than I would have been able to do otherwise. Cookie crumbs, cuddle time, and best of all  - spontaneous hugs, kisses, and "Mommy, I love you." These are my daily life, and when I am irritated and impatient, as I tend often to be, I need these reminders of the important things.

I attended the Interfaith Summit on Happiness featuring 4 religious leaders, including the Dalai Lama, and there I was presented with more evidence of those things I had just been reminded of. Happiness is not only possible, but the responsibility of each person. Happy people create happy ambience. Simplicity and mindfulness are of the utmost importance in acheiving true happiness. We don't get happiness from things we buy, but from things we do.

The saying "take time to smell the roses" translates to "take time to be mindful of your blessings." My goal is to keep a sense of humor in the midst of daily life, to make the most of opportunities to live, not exist. This is the first step to Pursuing Bliss.

2 comments:

  1. Love it!
    Keep writing, and thinking, and praying . . . in whatever order you see fit!

    ~Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the above! Very inspiring! Keep it up :-)

    ReplyDelete