Pursuing Bliss in a Random Life is about finding the humor in everyday situations. It's the random moments of clarity in the middle of chaos. It's the reminders of what is truly important, of the things that make this life not just livable, but memorable. This is my search: not just to achieve, but to maintain happiness. Family, friends, faith, food, fun: Bliss.

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas Craziness

You know that line in Silent Night? The one that goes All is calm, all is bright? SO not my house. Every year, my holiday happiness comes about 2 months too early, and by the time it is "OK" to start preparations, it has fled screaming. Yes, it usually shows back up, in fits and spurts. I get just enough enthusiasm to think going to Toys R Us with a 6 year old in tow is a fun idea. Yes, I AM crazy, didn't you know?

I remember when I used to plan ahead. Not just think about planning ahead - actually planning. Now, Christmas Eve rolls around and I think - Oh yeah, I have to cook something. Wait, I haven't wrapped any presents yet. I get so busy trying to plan my holiday I forget to actually have my holiday. I think I need to start planning this week for next year, and have one of my famous lists ready to go in JULY.

I love the holidays, really I do. I love the excitement of the kids. I love the fairy lights on the tree - once we finally get them on and LIT. I even love the elves who visit us each year. Seriously y'all, we have elves. Three at last count. They show up when the tree is decorated and watch the boys like hawks until Christmas Eve, when they run back to make their report. Ian has decided it is his job to keep track of them, so every morning we hear: *gasp* "Mom! Dad! Look, the elf moved! It was here, now it's over there! It's leaning on a different hand!..." He talks to them, explains things, and writes them letters to take to Santa. I'm waiting for the attempted bribery to begin.

So. Time to make the checklist for tomorrow.

1) Go to the hospital to see Father in Law

2) Finish Christmas shopping (you didn't really expect me to be finished already, did you? Seriously? I had to    scrap making gifts as it is...)

3) Wrap the rest of the presents and get them under the tree (we do have some wrapped under there, they are just from other people)

4) Go to Christmas Eve Service at church. (I am determined to make it this year, unlike every other past year when I've attempted and gotten there too late to find a seat or a parking space!)

5) Have some cocoa, chill with a holiday movie before 11pm.

OK. I can do this. Really. With the help of some elves. =)

Merry Christmas everyone! Check back for my restored sanity around, say, never. Or January.

1 comment:

  1. If it helps, Santa doesn't wrap the presents he brings to our house, they are just put together and ready for play.
    The only wrapped presents are from "Mommy and Daddy."
    4) Jesus would LOVE to see you, and has a peculiar way of making everything, even shortcomings, ESPECIALLY shortcomings okay, so don't skimp on this one. ;-)
    Merry Christmas, Stephanie!
    You deserve it and you know it, so enjoy it for what it is-- it isn't a sigh of relief, it's the arrival of light in a darkened world.

    ~Lee

    ReplyDelete