Pursuing Bliss in a Random Life is about finding the humor in everyday situations. It's the random moments of clarity in the middle of chaos. It's the reminders of what is truly important, of the things that make this life not just livable, but memorable. This is my search: not just to achieve, but to maintain happiness. Family, friends, faith, food, fun: Bliss.

Friday, May 20, 2011

Life is a Mother (or, busy, busy, busy...)

A couple of days ago, I had the chance to catch up with an old friend via phone. I hesitate to mention that it was via cell phone, while flying down I-75 trying desperately to get to work without being too late - but there you have it. We were attempting to coordinate our schedules and find a time to get together. Keep in mind, now, this friend only lives about 6 miles away - and yet, I have not seen her in over a year, and have only spoken to her a couple of times. When she jokingly said, "Ok, I think the schedule is clear in oh, 15 years or so..." it hit me: life as a mother translates into life is a mother.

With 2 small boys, a husband, and a job, my life is so busy I can't keep my head straight for more than 5 minutes. For example; in the next month I have soccer practices, soccer games, Awana awards, a children's musical, role playing, Cub scouts, church, work, a birthday party to plan AND execute (Ian, do you HAVE to turn 7? can't you stay 6 for a couple more years??), and a trip to Minnesota. Add into that mix her 2 kids, her husband, work, and all of our activities combined creates a calendar full of things to do, places to be, projects to handle....little time to rest, relax, kick back. (Luckily, we did manage to find one empty space to book a get together.)

I have been feeling ambitious (and guilty, I have hardly cooked for my family in months), so this weekend I am attempting homemade fried chicken, roasted corn, a new recipe for mashed potatoes, rolls, onion straws, and some form of dessert. Lord, save me - or my family, I'm not sure which. If I get ambitious enough, I might take pictures and/or post something on here about how it turns out. Maybe.

The downside to this schedule, and my lifestyle? Life comes along and kicks me in the shins every once in awhile. Take today - after the mad rush to get Ian's projects and snacks done last night I ended up sick to my stomach. Today, I lay on the sofa and slept most of the day - snuggles with Munchie were awesome, but other times I shoved food at him, thrust video games into his hands, and left the tv on a marathon of cartoons - I just couldn't move! Every inch of my body felt like it weighed a ton (hey, no snide comments here please!=)) I know exercise and caffeine were what I needed, but I couldn't get up long enough to get them. My Mom, in all her wisdom, informed me that I am exhausted. Well gee, isn't that wunderbar? Hopefully the day of mostly rest will handle that. Um, hello, universe? Take a memo: I don't have TIME to be TIRED!

This summer, in between Scouts, Choi Kwan Do, and work, I really want to make time for some fun things. I'd love to schedule a trip to Chattanooga with my boys, hit up Stone Mountain's laser show, and attend at least one baseball game. However, I absolutely must leave time for swimming, bike riding, cooking, and popsicles. Especially popsicles.

I am way behind on blogging, and boring to boot - but here comes summer, so there's hope yet!!

No comments:

Post a Comment