Pursuing Bliss in a Random Life is about finding the humor in everyday situations. It's the random moments of clarity in the middle of chaos. It's the reminders of what is truly important, of the things that make this life not just livable, but memorable. This is my search: not just to achieve, but to maintain happiness. Family, friends, faith, food, fun: Bliss.

Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day

I admit it - I am a total sucker for American Family holidays. Fourth of July, Memorial Day - anything that promotes wearing and waving red, white, and blue, and salutes our armed forces. I crave cookouts - a little gift from my Dad and all the summers we spent grilling out in the garage, throwing block parties, listening to old music. I grew up on grilled food, and I love the smell of a grill in the summer. I want my children to associate that same smell with good times - it's a way for them to relate to the Grandpa they never got to know. Don't even get me started on baseball (Go Braves!)

I started thinking about this a couple of days ago and, as I wandered through my home I began to take note of the myriad little touches of Americana. I realized that, as crazy as I am about all things Irish, I am even more proud of my rural American roots. Yes, I frequently cringe over them, but deep inside there is a part of me that celebrates it too. Yes, my inner country girl dances to country music, gets goosebumps listening to Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA", and cheers the Sweet Home Alabama portion of the Stone Mountain Laser Show. (Can't you hear my inner red-neck screaming yee-haw? Thank you Paulding County...) =P

Here are a few touches of Americana that I ran across wandering around my home:

I love anything with the American flag on it


Josh picked this one - that's my boy, channeling his Grandpa Bill!

I find myself inwardly yearning toward those "old-fashioned" accomplishments of cooking, canning, baking, and sewing. I want to learn all of the arts that went into home-making - although I still battle against cleaning and laundry! =)


I'm not sure why or how, but chickens are a big thing in my kitchen

Signs in my yard


Part of my "months of the year" throw that I adore

My American shelf in the entertainment center. 
The Eagle and the shells are from my Dad's casket and funeral salute.

The flag that draped my Dad's coffin. 

Living with small boys, we are surrounded by superheroes. Batman, Superman, Spiderman - you name it, we've seen it, own it, or make it up. I try to take every opportunity to teach my boys about real heroes  - police, firefighters, EMTs, National Guard, and soldiers of every branch of military. When we see someone in uniform, I remind my children that these are the true heroes worthy of respect and admiration. I explain that these are the people who lay their lives on the line to keep us safe, to help us when we are hurt, afraid, or lost. I love it when I see it sinking in - Ian never fails to point out a police officer or fire truck, and he frequently wants to go and say thank you, or at least wave as we pass. I want to make the effort to instill in my boys respect, admiration, and appreciation for the heroes of this world. 

Many people look at Memorial Day as an excuse to party, have a bar-be-que, head to the lake. I say why not? These are the freedoms that soldiers fought and died for, and even a family picnic is a celebration of the sacrifice, as long as we take the time to remember the reason for the holiday! I decided this year to concentrate more on planning and celebrating these holidays with my family in the future. My hope is that, through those efforts, my sons will not only grow up with wonderful memories, but learn to honor these times as adults, and continue the traditions with their own children. Isn't that what we fight for - the freedom to raise our children in peace, and to teach them the things we believe in the most?

Though I never lost a loved one to combat, I have lost beloved family members who were servicemen, and I honor them in my heart. I miss my Dad, more each summer, and I see him in the way Ian walks, in certain things he says, and in his eyes. I respect and adore my Uncle Mack, a Vietnam Veteran who to this day is dealing with the things that he experienced. 

I am proud of my country, my family, and our armed forces. I grieve for everyone who has lost a soldier, and respectfully and prayerfully offer thanks and blessings. Happy Memorial Day, y'all.


No comments:

Post a Comment