Pursuing Bliss in a Random Life is about finding the humor in everyday situations. It's the random moments of clarity in the middle of chaos. It's the reminders of what is truly important, of the things that make this life not just livable, but memorable. This is my search: not just to achieve, but to maintain happiness. Family, friends, faith, food, fun: Bliss.

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Begin as you mean to go on

A new year - a fresh start. New Year's Day brings a feeling of promise, of starting over. Really, it's just another day in the life - one in a row of days - but the rolling over of the calendar year makes it seem as if time is starting again. 

Year after year, I've had a list of resolutions, and most years I don't achieve them. This year, I have one resolution. More Joy. Wrapped up in that goal are many smaller actions that will need to be taken, but rather than write out another list, I am sticking with the one goal. More breathing, more loving, more playing. Less drama. I am looking forward to cultivating those things that bring me joy and peace, and cutting away those that cause me unnecessary stress. I want to pour out love on my friends, play with my children. I desire to create, to learn. I plan to organize and schedule, but only enough to keep things simple and moving smoothly. I crave enjoyment out of life.

Growing up, I loved Little House on the Prairie. I read the books over and over again. Even as an adult, I go back and re-read them occasionally. I love Ma's saying "We might as well begin as we mean to go on." That is my new personal motto. If I want change, I have to start it. Then, I have to keep it up.

So. Day one of the determined hunt for More Joy. Week one Plan: Be patient. Be kind. Be tidy. 

I'll keep you posted.




No comments:

Post a Comment