Pursuing Bliss in a Random Life is about finding the humor in everyday situations. It's the random moments of clarity in the middle of chaos. It's the reminders of what is truly important, of the things that make this life not just livable, but memorable. This is my search: not just to achieve, but to maintain happiness. Family, friends, faith, food, fun: Bliss.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Making the most of every day

I love the hustle and bustle of family life. Most of the time, anyway. I eat, sleep, and breathe homework, cartoons, cookie crumbs and milk mustaches, and crayons. Oh, and LEGOs. I feel a great sense of accomplishment when I get both kids where they need to be on time (which doesn't happen as often as it should!) When Ian was in baseball and soccer, I loved being at the ballpark. I am lucky to be able to take my boys to choir, Awana, and Scouts. Even if I do have to remind myself sometimes.

That being said, it is so important to take time every day to breathe, and soak it all in. In the middle of chaos, with dinner on the stove, kids rummaging for who knows what, and animals rubbing my ankles hoping I'll drop a bite - I have to remind myself to take a moment and savor life. When I forget, life usually comes along and smacks me in the head with a reminder. 

Around a year ago, I found out that Ian's very first teacher died suddenly of an infection. It broke my heart to think of this kind, vibrant woman just disappearing from the lives of her children so unexpectedly. It brought home to me that even when life sucks, it is still life, and needs to be appreciated. 

Every day over the last 2 years, even while pulling my hair out with frustration, I have instinctively recognized the precious gift this time has been. Being home with my boys, as tough as it has been to adjust to, is all I've ever really wanted. I am determined to cling to it, to hold on with both hands, and love the experience for what it is. Imperfect, messy, zany, unpredictable...bring it on, I say. Make the most of every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment